Thursday 23 October 2014

Into the Wild Woods

No views today, sorry. I've been dubbing my boots and am packing my daysack for a walk in the Wild Woods tomorrow with school. I'll have views from here and views from there and cosy plans for half-term as the weekend wends its freedom way from three schools' gates to breakfeasts in bed and pumpkins.

We have two decent mountain expanses here in the Frozen North. I hesitate to call them ranges. Tomorrow I'll be in the Mournes area, though I think we're walking either Tollymore or Castlewellan Forest to break the Year 10s in. We also have the Sperrins and I am thoroughly ashamed to say that, apart from adoring my every high drive through the bleakly spectacular Glenshane Pass, I have never set boot thereon.

Tomorrow will be the first training walk for this year's Bronze Duke of Edinburgh group. I haven't been out on expedition walks since I was teaching full-time. I'm very excited, and have my gloves and hat and waterproofs and spare socks and will have a flask of tea.

I am also wondering if it would be very anti-social to read my book on the bus all the way there and all the way back....

5 comments:

Mise said...

Your bootlaces are those of a femme fatale.

Jane and Chris said...

Slip a book cover from a book (in a very obscure language) onto the book you reading..that should keep natterers away.

Lisa Richards said...

Hope your training walk went well and you had a great day in the outdoors! :)

Elderberry-Rob said...

don't forget your torch and inflatable pillow!

M.K. said...

Read your book! Drink your tea! Enjoy yourself!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...