Thursday 17 January 2013

Views from my Land

 Warning: layout a complete shambles below! Troglodyte incompetence at its worst/best...



I have been reading Jane's View from my Window for ages and with great fascination. Every Thursday you get to stand inside Jane's home and look out at the Canadian woods. It's snowy there just now. Winter perfection. These however are the views from my windows. Heavy snow (or indeed heavy rain) is forecast for us over the weekend, and we do so hope it (not the other) will come!

 
 



What we have in abundance are grey skies. Not the brooding, foreboding, interesting genre of grey skies. This is more the gradually opressive, take away all the colour and paint the world vacant sort of grey sky. I think I've seen blue up there twice since New Year! 


This is our back garden. You might notice the remnants of civilised, pre-parenthood, social existence. Maybe I'll take up archeology and excavate some of those things at some stage. Colour, that's what children's things instantly bring, though, isn't it? Bright, primary coloured certainty. You may notice that, despite our proximity to Belfast and her City Hall, we have no flags flying here in Strawberry Land. Not even on royal birthdays! We'll take our colour from the little, joyous things things instead.

12 comments:

Angela said...

But no snow on the ground. We have snow here. Our garden table has a plastic cover on it,which is shrouded in white stuff. Your table looks just as I left it in August - ready to host another Sunday luncheon party!!

I have tried very hard to check the date on the wooden calendar on your windowsill. Did you put it right before you took the picture?

Many Small Joys add up to make Great Ones.

blessings

Jane and Chris said...

Welcome,welcome,welcome!
Hubby looked at your pics and said,
"they have growing things!"
I said
"they have growing things with buds!!!".
I am really looking forward to an early spring (OK, by proxy...but it still counts in this neck of the woods...pun entirely intended).
Jane xx

Jane and Chris said...

Did my comment get through? (echo ,echo, echo)
Jane xx

magsmcc said...

Yes? I think they're both here now!

M.K. said...

I like your cozy garden area -- it looks private. We have grey skies and no snow also. But I'm afraid your temps will stay cold longer than ours. So many of my friends in the states have had lots of snow today -- in places like Mississippi, Texas, Virginia. Crazy weather.

GretchenJoanna said...

Well, I think your little backyard is a cheerful contrast to grey skies, showing so many signs of vibrant human activity. Shift your gaze away from the grey skies and look at the green living things that have been cultivated, or the evidence of energetic children at play. While you are doing that, I pray your sun comes out and surprises you!

Elderberry-Rob said...

I like your view of the world - I see you have pretty windmills in the garden. Maybe I should do my view - it's a nice idea - we have snow and lots of trees. Betty

Fat Dormouse said...

Your back garden looks fine to me - but I'm afraid that means nothing as I am not a gardener. But as GretchenJoanna said above, it shows a family garden and I can imagine that many happy times have been spent there - and isn't that the most important thing?!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Your back yard is lovely, children's things and all. We're expecting another snow and, I'm afraid, things that have budded in the warm spell might die this time 'round.
Ah well, it's all God's; if He wants it to die, so be it.

Donna Heber said...

Lovely photos and garden. I'm still making my way through visiting everyone from Vicki's Grow Your Blog party. I hope you will stop by to say hello.

Pam said...

Thank you for your kind comment. My heart is indeed weary (about some things) but I read Romans 12 and felt a bit better.

Kezzie said...

Ha ha, yes, I love the way you describe pre-parenthood existence! My sister's house and garden were a wonderfully tasteful haven for messy old me! Now she has a child, it has become a rainbow of plastic everywhere!!!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...