Wednesday 1 December 2010

The Christmas Mystery

This is my advent calendar- one chapter for every day until The Day. I've just read it with the boys for the first time. Jo fell asleep half-way through, but Mattman most fascinated.

Do you know it? I'm already wary of the consequences of a sub-story about a girl who runs away from her mother in a shop! And how much of John's tale will they grasp? But then I grasp something new from this book every year. From the first year it gave me my image of wisdom- more of that when its day comes! The outstanding quote for today was most apt given my quick and fruitless dash to the local shopping cente tonight!

Perhaps the reason the lamb had come to life and run away from the big store was that it could no longer bear to listen to the cash registers and the talk about buying and selling. And perhaps that was why Elisabet was following it. She had never enjoyed shopping....

7 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I just looked this book up on amazon.com and it sounds wonderful! I already have three different Advent devotional books, but the boys might enjoy this (and I think I would, too).

xofrances

Pom Pom said...

Interesting! Great idea. Today I had my struggling readers and writers make a list of gifts they'd like to give (if they had a million dollars) and I made one, too. Let's see, I would give YOU a pogo stick, a big box of chocolates, a book of paper dolls, a snazzy hat and a plane ride to Denver.

magsmcc said...

A POGO STICK?? Pom if you only knew!

Elizabethd said...

I do know the book but dont have a copy of it. It is a wonderful stroy.
Thank you so much for your pretty card!

Angela said...

Please please can I ride on the pogo stick too, and have the adjacent seat on the plane to Denver?

GretchenJoanna said...

I haven't heard of that book, either...thanks for sharing!

Gumbo Lily said...

I loved buying and reading Christmas books for my Littles year after year. I don't think it's so much about them "getting the story" but more about you taking the time to be with them and share with them.

Happy Advent.
Jody

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...